Welcome, readers, to a list we've been meaning to put together for quite some time now. A lot of thought and effort went into this list, compiling what we consider to be some of the most frightening picks in gaming to have ever been released. Read on at your own risk.
10) Amnesia: The Dark Descent. Masterful tension building and the near-certainty of death, while avoiding too much reliance on jumpscares.
9) Dead Space 3. A top-notch combination of horror elements, story, and gameplay.
8) Alien: Isolation. The alien actually learns how you play and adapts and goddammit I KNEW it was going to be around that corner SON OF A BITCH!
7) Sonic ‘06. The world can randomly swallow you and there’s nothing you can do about it. True helplessness.
6) Resident Evil 4. The zombies are okay, but there’s nothing scarier than the time between when you finish organizing your inventory and when you next save your game.
5) Risk / Monopoly. Tied for most terrifying thing to see on the table at game night.
4) Superman 64. ( ͡ಠ ʖ̯ ͡ಠ)
3) That one campaign of Vampire: the Masquerade I was in that was actually really well written and the player characters weren’t all from bad Blade fanfiction.
2) The Little Big Planet series. Experience the horror of being a damned soul bound to a yarn golem pulled straight from a child’s nightmares, forced to endlessly run and jump through an ever-changing world without hope of rest nor peace.
1) Katamari Damacy. Think about this game from the perspective of an onlooker. Let that sink in. Terror incarnate.
Dear readers, please consider keeping the lights on when you play any of these games. If you scare easily, play with a friend nearby, and remember to take frequent breaks. This is your own mental well-being we're looking out for!